Monday, June 16, 2008

a painted veil

It’s been long since I wrote a post. I was thinking of writing about each and every movie that I saw. My last post got quite a few mild reproaches on the topic being so un-commentable, as it was more of a personal experience. Later, reading that post again I realized that it was only a bunch of incoherent sentences trying to express my feeling and I was really pathetic in dat, but that’s perfectly ok. I would still like to continue on that movie blogging idea. But it so happens that my high end system is seeing its not so good times and it is temporarily down for the past 15 days and will be so for another 15 odd days. So, as of now, no more movie reviews.

So fifteen days back I decided that I need to catch up on reading books, though not one of my favorite pass times. I would at any time prefer movies over a book owing to my very short attention span. According to me, it needs lots of dedication. I am the kind of reader who checks once in while, the percentage completion of the book and this frequency increases at the rate of increase of the philosophical content. But I still prefer reading a book with such content as is the case any delusional enthusiast. Thinking about it if it is necessary to read a book like that, I will definitely say yes. There are books that are damn slow and remain the same way through out but are very rewarding (not that I expect them to be rewarding).

The last time I went to Chennai, I loaded my bag with lots of old brittle books from my dad’s collection and started reading ‘Of human bondage’ by somerset Maugham. I loved the movie ‘the painted veil’ which I had initially watched mainly because of Naomi watts and the wallpaper that showed her sitting in a rowboat beside Edward Norton. That poster was more than enough to pull me into watching that movie. I loved the laid back pace of the movie. I remembered having a book by the same author and put it somewhere in the top of my to-do list. But I couldn’t read Of human bondage continuously, because it demanded more attention and time than I could spare at that point of time and pushed it down a few spots in my to-do list and kept that book back in to my bag.

Then I stopped reading for some time. I couldn’t get my interest into that book, and couldn’t switch on that easily to another book, thinking that the next one too would end next to this book in just another week or two. After that all I did was some occasional leisurely reading but not much. And about three four days back, when I was reading a particular part in a book, I got this momentary euphoria. I am deliberately going to strip a lot of my-feeling part and just write about it as just critic rather than a loyal fanatic.

All this happened when I was reading ‘The Grand Inquisitor’ from Dostoevsky’s The Brothers Karamazov. It is probably the typical feeling that it is supposed to invoke in a person who reads it, but for me it was like a revelation though it might lose its charm later in life due to a change in perspective. But I loved it so much. Nothing had been so thought provoking for me in books before. Lots of doubts and questions got answers, at least temporarily. Lots of things fell in place. It was not the best answer for the questions I had, but it gave a very satisfying answer for many. I already have an opinion that a lot of silly or absurd things that used to evoke a sarcastic smirk on my face though not understood by me at that time, serves some purpose for a select set at least, for which it is worth a praise. This reason is more than enough for a cynic like me to cut that sarcastic smirk part (Not yet implemented fully). A question ‘How could he do that?’ is always followed after realization by ‘wat’s wrong with that?’ or ‘it’s perfectly normal to do it that way’, even though not immediately. Everything is lawful. This is where my superior ego feels insulted after quoting a friend. This is again where it realizes (can be read as consoles) that there is nothing wrong with that too.

Ok that’s enough I guess... I am going to post it now before I miss my 915 cab drop to my house. Bye for now.

1 comment:

  1. The choice of words were good... Kind of appeared normal,which is in my view, is real good... Good job..

    ReplyDelete